Artsadmin aims to embed accessibility across our artistic programme and building, Toynbee Studios. Artsadmin is proud to have co-delivered Unlimited, the world’s largest disability arts commissioning programme, in partnership with Shape Arts since 2013.
Accessibility at Toynbee Studios
We welcome disabled artists and staff to our building every day, and are working towards making Toynbee Studios the safest space it can be for artists, visitors, audiences and staff. All our staff have undertaken disability and equality training.
We have a created a Safer Spaces policy and procedure and a Welcome text that is displayed around the building.
You can let us know your access requirements before you visit by email or phone: 020 7247 5102 | email@example.com
- Toynbee Studios is accessible to wheelchair users. The café entrance, accessed via Commercial Street, is wheelchair accessible. If you require step free access to the studios outside of café hours, we have a mobile ramp for our reception entrance. Please advise us in advance if you need this: firstname.lastname@example.org | 020 7247 5102
- There is lift access to all floors. To reach the lift, please enter via the café and go up the ramp to the reception.
- All of our toilets are gender neutral. Fully accessible toilets are located on the ground, first and third floors.
- In the first floor disabled toilet, there is a wheelchair-accessible shower with a fold-down shower seat and an ergonomic sink that is adjustable in height.
- In the third floor disabled toilet, the accessible toilet has a shower with a hoist, which is an Opemed OT200c and has safe working weight of 200kg, and a powered nursing bench with safety rail.
- There is a wheelchair lift in the theatre to access the stage.
- Theatre seating measurements:
Seat width – 17.5 inches/44.45cm
Seat depth – 17 inches/43.18cm
Leg room – 7-11 inches/17.78-28cm
All our seats have armrests.
- There is a hearing loop at reception, which is on all the time, and another in the theatre.
- We welcome guide, hearing and assistance dogs. A drinking bowl is located in the café foyer.
- We have refuge points on each floor. If the fire alarm goes off, the lift will go down to the ground floor and the doors will open. It will not be operational until it is safe to re-enter the building. The refuge points have call buttons to talk to the Fire Marshall on the ground floor. We can advise the fire brigade there is someone in a refuge point.
- There is a quiet space on the fourth floor with ear defenders, a low lighting option and a sofa bed.
- If you’re coming to an event at Toynbee Studios, we have a relaxed performance kit at box office which we offer where possible. It includes ear defenders, pillows, blankets and yoga mats which we invite you to use in the performance space.
Accessible travel to Toynbee Studios
- The nearest Tube station with lift access is Liverpool Street, which is approximately 10 minutes from Toynbee Studios. Shoreditch High Street Overground station also has lift and step free access. See Transport for London’s guidance on step-free access.
- We have no car parking facilities. The closest available parking is situated on Wentworth Street. There is a private car park at 8 Old Montague Street, E1 5NG. You can find out more about local parking on the London Borough of Tower Hamlets website.
- The closest Blue Badge Parking is on Old Montague Street. The exact location and other nearby Blue Parking areas are on this map.
- We are committed to an inclusive reopening in line with the Seven Inclusive Principles and continue to have Covid safety measures in place, as well as offering online events or ways to digitally engage.
- For paid public programme events, we offer free tickets for companions, carers or personal assistants.
- All online events have captioning provided by Otter.ai and BSL is available on request (please indicate when booking).
You can download plain text versions of our brochures here (Annual Report | Portfolio). To request these brochures in Large Print or another format please call 020 7247 5102 or email email@example.com.
Artsadmin is committed to providing an accessible website. This website is designed to meet A of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines and in most cases AA.
The website has been designed so that it is possible to view pages without the use of style sheets or in text only browsers. If you experience any problems viewing these pages we are keen to hear from you and every effort will be made to correct a problem.
Resources on access from Unlimited
Artsadmin partners with Shape Arts to deliver Unlimited, a disability arts commissioning programme. The Unlimited website offers access resources for artists, arts professionals and cultural organisations.