Access and inclusion work at Artsadmin
Working towards a safer space.
Since the spring, we’ve been doing a lot of listening, talking and thinking, and we have also been focusing on a plan of action to help us to understand and improve our practices and working structures. We wanted to share some of the actions we have taken and the plans we have for the future:
- We’ve started a programme of work with Stonewall, having signed up to their Diversity Champions scheme, to look at all our policies (including a Transitioning at Work policy), procedures, recruitment, and internal and external practices to help us become a more LGBTQ inclusive and trans-supportive organisation. We have sent some staff on Trans Allies training with Stonewall and our wider team are engaging with all sorts of their resources, including webinars, guidance, research and their annual conference.
- We’ve been reviewing our policies, procedures, training and behaviours more generally. This includes writing a Welcome Statement and a Safer Spaces policy.
- Our Access and Inclusion sub-committee have held regular meetings internally since February, which are open to all staff, and this topic has been a key part of our weekly staff lunch meetings.
- We are undertaking Unconscious Bias training for staff and the Board and we will seek help to work on an anti-racist strategy this autumn.
- We are investing in Mental Health First Aid training for all members of staff, starting soon and phasing this over the next twelve months.
- An all staff monthly working group has been initiated by members of the team, to create more dedicated time and space for collective reading, discussion and thinking around power structures.
This is an on-going process and we will keep listening and welcoming your feedback. Please contact us via email, phone or post: