The Apocalypse Reading Room
Ama Josephine Budge
An installation of books for all ages, exploring ways to reimagine our futures
The Apocalypse Reading Room is an installation by speculative writer and artist Ama Josephine Budge: an on-site library, a world of talking stories in the face of environmental and social transformation, a gathering of all the books we might need to change the end of the world…
Explore the The Apocalypse Reading Room in person at Toynbee Studios in the Arts Bar & Café. This post-apocalyptic library installation is filled with books for all ages and you’re invited to come and read books exploring ways to build, transform, rethink, rewrite and reimagine our futures.
The Apocalypse Reading Room is activated by two artists, Lateisha Davine Lovelace-Hanson and Mohammed Z Rahman, who are taking part in a three-month long residency programme, a series of public events and writing blogs:
- Ama is in the Reading Room and access support is offered on 18 September and 25 September and 12-6pm.
- Read blog by Lateisha: < grief is a grandmother whose burning hands enshrine light >
- Read blog by Mohammed: Smash the Workhouse, Free the Dreamers
Listen to recordings of talks with residency artists, Ama and invited guests on our Soundcloud.
You can still watch the digital version of The Apocalypse Reading Room: Room2Room, created in summer 2020, where guests were invited to read a section of their apocalypse survival guide from their favourite reading rooms. The readers included Nii Obodai, Victoria Sin, Pratibha Parmar, Kai-Isaiah Jamal, Ama Josephine Budge, Theodora Omambala.
- The Arts Bar & Café is wheelchair accessible and there are wheelchair accessible toilets. Read more about Accessibility at Toynbee Studios.
- All toilets at Toynbee Studios are gender neutral.
- There is outdoor and distanced indoor seating.
- There is an adjustable table attached to the armchair.
- There is a magnifier in the Reading Room.
- Listen to the audio description
- There are captioned videos of readings from the Room2Room Apocalypse Survival Guides (bring your own headphones for Covid safety – the computer requires a standard 3.5mm headphone jack).
- Please email email@example.com if you have any further access requests.
- With thanks to Quiplash for their advice and support with access.
Date and time
1 July – 30 September 2021
Open Mon-Fri 10.30am-2.30pm; also open Saturdays in September, 12-6pm, and during public events
This is now a past event.
28 Commercial Street
London, E1 6AB
Tel: 020 7247 5102
Plan your visit