What Shall We Build Here
A festival of art, climate and community
What Shall We Build Here is a festival of art, climate and community at Artsadmin’s Toynbee Studios in Aldgate East, in parks across east London and in your local supermarket.
We invite you to events that imagine ways of living together that are just and sustainable for people and the planet.
You can engage online or in person, with live events taking place either outdoors or indoors with limited capacities for social distancing. Explore the line-up, including:
- performances across Tower Hamlets built from a chorus of breath collected from local womxn of colour as part of Immersion by Selina Thompson;
- a playful, gentle evening of creative workshops and installations exploring ecological grief by Aisha Mirza & Aaks B;
- an undercover audio tour of your local supermarket by Alicja Rogalska about the politics of food production, distribution and consumption;
- a sensory workshop exploring food, climate and colonialism with Kaajal Modi;
- an immersive installation exploring Black women + femmes’ relationship with communities, care and our planet by the dream(ing) field lab;
- a sound celebration of London’s dogs and their owners, Dog Ballet by Nigel Barrett & Louise Mari, including mini-golf for dogs in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park;
- an evening of conversations exploring climate justice, queer ecology and creating apocalypse survival guides with Ama Josephine Budge in the Apocalypse Reading Room installation, open throughout the festival;
- an outdoor drag performance with poetry, and storytelling for earthly survival, and coffee mornings exploring political hope with Oozing Gloop.
Listen, talk, touch, smell, taste, connect, breathe and take part.
Part of Season for Change, a UK-wide cultural programme inspiring urgent and inclusive action on climate change, led by Artsadmin and Julie’s Bicycle, and supported by Arts Council England and Paul Hamlyn Foundation.
- Full access details are listed on each event page.
- Toynbee Studios is wheelchair accessible and there are wheelchair accessible, gender neutral toilets. Read more about Accessibility.
- Free tickets are available for companion, carer or personal assistant tickets for paid for ticketed events.
- For relevant events, BSL can be requested when you book a ticket.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further access requests.
Date and time
8–12 September 2021
This is now a past event.
Toynbee Studios in Aldgate East
Parks across east London
In your local supermarket